Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shakuntala Patade

Shakuntala Patade is a painter who resides in Pune. She began painting at age 40 as a schoolteacher and is completely self-taught. I heard about her because she made paintings during the infamous Gujarat riots in 2002, the largest genocide in recent Indian history resulting in the deaths of about 2,000 people.

Every day she would read about the atrocities in Gujarat, largely against women, and she would paint. When she tried to have her paintings exhibited in a gallery in Gujarat, she was told her subject matter was too controversial. Her series on Gujarat was finally exhibited in Delhi.

Most of her paintings revolve around the condition of women and the girl-child. She has done many paintings on sex workers in the growing red light district, selling her paintings to donate to NGO's that work in that area. Shakuntala Patade is 76 now and is still painting away. Here is some of her work.



4 comments:

  1. Hello Miss Patade
    I’m sure this note will come as a surprise
    Just want to thanks you from the bottom of my heart for a lovely, teacher you have been and amazing artist I also seen your paintings in Jehangir Art Gallery you are a blessed human being I’m one of your student from St.Peter’s School Mazagaon my name is Peter Samuel we met very briefly in my office in Pune Thomas Cook MG .Road back in 1997 as I was the Manager back then I now have relocated my place of residence to Canada I have my own Travel business I’m married have 2 son’s and a beautiful wife ….if time permits you please do come to Canada for a Holiday and stay with us Canada is another beautiful country just like India …..All your students want to keep in touch with you so please do join our face book page.
    God Bless you Miss
    Your student …we will never stop learning
    Peter Samuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peter,
      My name is Ranjith and I am a friend of Miss patade. I have informed her about your comment on this blog and she was very happy. My email is :ranjithraghupathy@gmail.com and phone no is 09921279859. She stays at the same house in booty street, camp. If you want to contact her you can call her assistant lady. Her no is 09209779505. Thank you.

      regards,

      ranjith

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am Shakuntala's niece. Thank you for doing this write up. I hope to help in the effort to better the lives of the men, women and children in this destructive life style.

    ReplyDelete